The Beachvale Sub-Section of the Naval Association of Australia, located in South Australia, are proud of their motto “Once Navy - Always Navy - binding us all together.”
Sadly the Sub-Section is disbanding the business side of the organisation due to a lack of new membership numbers.
As a consequence of “decommissioning - so to speak”, the organisation is going through the important process of reallocating their assets.
By agreement of the Sub-Section, its President Mr Peter Peterson has donated $10,000 to the Navy’s own charity Keeping Watch.
“The Sub-Section wanted their funds to be able to assist in caring for and supporting members of the Navy and their dependants,” Mr Peterson said.
“I liked the idea that the Sub-Section would be able to continue to enhance Navy’s job to look after its people with the funding now Always Navy.”
“The Association is aware of numerous sources of financial support for families in need, but we were impressed that Keeping Watch can act quickly to provide urgent assistance, easier than most organisations,” he said.
Keeping Watch is an arm of the Royal Australian Navy Relief Trust Fund and is an avenue by which all members of the Australian community can provide assistance, by way of philanthropic donations, to those Navy families in financial need.
Since its inception, Keeping Watch has provided around $300,000 to Navy families experiencing hardship.
Some recent examples of circumstances in which Keeping Watch has been able to provide assistance include:
- Providing for the immediate welfare of a family suffering from traumatic circumstances;
- Assisting with medical expenses for a life-threatening illness of a family member;
- Assisting with ongoing and escalating medical expenses and treatment for a rare and debilitating disease;
- Assistance for family support for the children in the wake of the parents being involved in a freak accident; and
- Assistance with funeral expenses of a family member.
More information about Keeping Watch can be found at www.keepingwatch.org.au
Keeping Watch is incredibly thankful for the Beachvale Sub-Section’s generous donation.