Team Anzac, united in union

This article has photo gallery Published on LEUT Matt Featherstone (author), ABCSO(U) Tara Byrne (photographer)

Location(s): TG Milner Rugby Field

Topic(s): HMAS Stirling, Sport, HMAS Cairns, HMAS Watson, HMAS Adelaide (L01), HMAS Anzac (F150), Rugby Union

Crew of HMAS Anzac support their ship's team in the rugby Mons Cup. (photo: ABCSO(U) TARA BYRNE)
Crew of HMAS Anzac support their ship's team in the rugby Mons Cup.

Despite not coming away with the honours, HMAS Anzac embraced the motto 'United We Stand', with arguably the loudest and proudest supporters at the 2017 Rugby Union Inter Unit Annual Competition at TG Milner Rugby Field in Sydney on 31 March.
Led by Leading Seaman Physical Trainer Matthew Guthrie on the microphone, Anzac’s supporters followed each game through the dizzying highs and disappointing lows, cheering on their team through every ruck, tackle and try.
Comprising of 11 teams from as far away as HMAS Stirling and HMAS Cairns, the competition was an opportunity for players from across the fleet to test their individual skills and teamwork in a quick succession of matches played for the highly prized Mons Cup.
The start of 2017 has been a busy time for the crew of Anzac, making team preparations a challenge.
Committed to the cause, however, the team managed to hold training sessions during an evaluation period at Fleet Base West and a port visit to Albany.
First up was the match against Cairns which Anzac lost in a close contest. In the second match against a Sydney base, HMAS Watson, the team cohesion started to improve, with Anzac coming away with a win to set up the match against amphibious ship HMAS Adelaide.
Despite a promising start in a sudden death match against Adelaide, Anzac’s boys were unable to break Adelaide’s line.
Despite some impressive efforts from Anzac’s players, Adelaide was able to get around the outside of Anzac’s defence, running over consecutive tries to take out the match.
coach Petty Officer Electronics Technician Julius Tadulala was happy with the team’s performance.
"The most pleasing aspect of all three matches was the 'never say die' attitude of the team," he said.
They were under the captaincy of Leading Seaman Combat Systems Operator Jairus Koroi and vice-captaincy of Able Seaman Marine Technician Joel Turley, who have both represented Navy Rugby Union at the highest level.
Overall, a good day was had by all players and spectators, with the crew of Anzac already looking forward to a rematch next year.